European Vacations

Friday, August 27, 2010

"A hundred year old photograph, stares out from a frame..."

Hello Everyone, well, the journey continues. My title is actually from the song, "Guardian Angels", sung by Wynonna and Naomi Judd! I was just thinking the other day about the words to the song, because my day had not been the best. Anyhow, I am going to try to incorporate a few of the verses to my blog, because it is still a developing story.




"A hundred year old photograph, stares out from a frame. And if you look real close you'll see, our eyes are just the same." A few months ago, I received several boxes filled with photo albums, pictures, scrap books, etc. The ironic thing is, they were packed away for a very long time, and the owner did not want to share them with the rest of the family. Some are not even identified, and I, along with my mother, had to sort them out, and split them up. Not a fun job when feelings are hurt, especially when loved ones have passed away, and people are still grieving the loss. I also found lots of letters that were both poignant and laugh out loud funny!:)



"I never met them face to face, but I still know them well, from the stories my dear grandma would tell." Some of the photos that I received have a story to tell, and I am able to share that with others. But that would be because someone like my great-aunt, Laura Moran Shimek, was able to tell me the story. And a book was written for that purpose. But the photos that I recently received have a story to tell as well. It's when the photos are not identified that makes it difficult to do.



"Elijah was a farmer. He knew how to make things grow. Fannie vowed she'd follow him, whever he would go. As things turned out they never left their small Kentucky farm." When I was a junior in high school, I took a social studies class that required us to each do an individual project for the class. As it turned out, reporting my family history research was the appropriate project for this particular class. By this time, my maternal grandparents had passed away. But one great-uncle was kind enough to help me with part of the project. Aunt Laura had already shared her part a couple of years earlier. Most of my ancestors were farmers, and pictures of that occupation were included. I typed my project out on my dad's 1950's era typewriter, which clacked away, and drove my family crazy!:) Who knew that ten years later, I would find out that an ancestor of mine did spend time in Kentucky while fighting for the North in the Civil War! By the way, I received an "A" for my completed project!:)



"Sometime when I'm tired, I feel Elijah take my arm. He says, "Keep a-going, hard work never did a body harm." When I'm feeling troubled, and I don't know what to do. Fannie whispers, "Just do your best. We're awful proud of you!" It's when you hit the unexpected road blocks, or people stating discouraging remarks that makes the research difficult! However, I have met so many people along the way that have been so helpful and kind with sharing their information, sources, and ideas over the last thirty years! That's why I have been so persistent with it! It makes life enjoyable beyond leaps and bounds! What a fun journey it has been!



"They're my guardian angels, and I know they can see. Every step I take, they are watching over me. I might not know where I'm goin', but I'm sure where I come from. They're my guardian angels, and I'm their special one." One road block that I hit 14 years ago was regarding a letter written to my maternal great-grandmother. It was written in German, with a post mark from Merrill, Wisconsin, and the year was 1920. There was no return address on the envelope, and it was signed by "Mari Emanuel". Now, for some people, without knowing the historical value of it, would unfortunately, throw it away!:( BIG MISTAKE! One of those OMG! moments. At the time, I kept running the surname of "Emanuel" through my mind, and wondered if it could be a surname that I could use to further my research. I ran to the computer, and with a few clicks with the mouse, and an online directory, I had found my answer! After getting even a partial translation of the letter, I was on my way to finding another branch on the family tree! And yes, there is a paper trail to climb! Yay!:)



"A hundred year old photograph, stares out from a frame. And if you look real close, you'll see, our eyes are just the same." I have two photographs of my maternal grandfather's family that were taken on the same day. One was with friends and relatives, and one was with  just the family. I believe that they were taken in Hutchinson, Minnesota, and the year would be 1909. They must be celebrating their certification as citizens of the USA! Keep an eye on the photographs of your ancestors, especially if it's from a direct line from your family. I can see similar quirks between my great-grandmother, and my mother! While I am vertically challenged and obstinate, I think that I take after two other grandmothers personality wise! One can always hope!:) Happy trails everyone!

No comments: