European Vacations

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Old Man At The Diner

As I sit in the diner and watch people go by, I look at the faces for people that I know.




As I look around for one particular face, I see an old man shaking his head in disgrace.



He is standing stooped over and gray, A broom in one hand, A dustpan in the other.



Someone broke a glass! Dishes need to be washed! Old man, don't stand around! Your head's in the clouds again!



The old man looked up, his face in disgust. "God only knows, with what I put up!"



I didn't feel sorry for him, Pity he did not need. The person he is, Is one that I know, On the inside that is.



When I looked at the old man, I could see myself in him. He doesn't like his job, But he sticks with it all the way.



I wondered if he was handicapped, But I have no right to ask. Why do I feel this way? Because I am handicapped too.



I've held disgusting jobs, And went to disgusting schools. What I'm wondering now, is this what my life will be about?



Endless cleaning jobs, Going to school, With no success in sight!



I wonder if that old man, ever succeeded in anything? I know I've had some successes. But it seems to me, My failures have outweighed the success that I've had.



That old man has lived a longer life than I. But I know he's happy. Because when he looked at me, He smiled and gave me a wink of his eye.



Lately I've been wondering where's my life taking me? Where will I be six weeks, six months, six years from now? I've achieved 3/4 of my goal. I'm almost there. The future is so far in sight. I wonder what my life will be like?



I hope that in time, I will be happy too. But I know afar I cannot see. Because it's just a foolish dream.



Goodbye old man, For if I don't see you now, I hope in time we will meet again, and share the wisdom of life.



Claudette M. Moran     July, 1987



At the time that I wrote this poem, I was in a very bad situation!



I had received an acceptance letter for a college that I wanted to go to, but I was unable to get out of the situation. Thankfully, when I left the situation, it was on good terms. However, whoever was in charge still insisted that I should not go in the direction that I was going in.



I went anyway, on my terms! And that has made all the difference! And, if you are wondering, it turns out that I was able to overcome my handicap!:)

No comments: