European Vacations

Monday, August 30, 2010

Train Travel Adventure

Do you remember a couple of years ago how the price of gas was astronomical? UGH! I needed a vacation really badly, and on top of that, I was looking for employment! I had had enough! The train was going to go without me if I didn't pack up and go! My father had passed away six months earlier, and I needed some adventure just for fun!




My first layover stop was Chicago! It was an overnight layover, and I couldn't figure out where to stay! That's rather wierd for a 40 year old! So, I stowed my stuff in a locker, called for a cab, and went to a youth hostel for the night! Even though it was a bit on the buggy side, at least I had a bed to sleep in for the night.



I woke up the next morning, emailed loved ones on where I was at, and headed back to the train station! I stopped at a church for a little prayer time, and I was off! It was a long wait for the next train headed to Phoenix! I slept on the chair instead of a sleeper car, but that made it adventuresome too! You should see the scenery from the train! I forgot to mention that the food on the train, which was Amtrak by the way, was quite good! White table cloths, and different people to meet at every meal! How fun! I did get to stretch out to buy a newspaper once in a while, just to keep up with the news and comics of the day! I can NOT live without my comics! It took two and a half days to get to a suburb of Phoenix in order to catch a cab and sleep at a Hotel 6. On top of that, I could only get a smoking room! I don't smoke by the way. Sure was nice to finally get a hot shower. Unfortunately, I could not stay the whole time at the hotel, which meant that I had to find ANOTHER youth hostel to stay at. So, away I went on the inner city train to catch a bus to go to a not so nice neighborhood! Keep your eyes peeled for strangers looking for formula for their baby! They will just run away with your belongings! Thankfully, I was smart enough to know better! The youth hostel was okay, although the lady of the house did try to hit on me. I did get to meet men who were from France, Japan, and Scotland. I did hang out at the library, and went to Hard Rock Cafe as well. Lots of cactuses too. So that's where all the western movies were filmed!



While the interview did not go as well as I had hoped, I was back on the train to head for Los Angeles, and more adventures! To be continued.....

1 comment:

stan said...

Sounds like an adventure, you actually have me beat with hits, I rarely leave Minnesota or the Re River Valley.